by Early Childhood Director, Elana Helfgott
Below are some tips to promote early literacy:
1. Make “talk” part of your everyday life. Young children should hear 30,000 words per day. While this may sound like a lot of words, this correlates into a parent speaking to a child in full and descriptive sentences daily.
2. Read signs, labels and road maps out loud.
3. Share a lot of books, stories and finger play.
4. Allow children to choose books they are interested in. A weekly library trip is a great way to promote this.
5. Reading a favorite book over and over again is a wonderful idea. Children learn from repetition.
6. Use different voices and sound effects to keep the stories exciting.
7. Stop in the middle of a story to ask key questions. “What” and “why” prediction questions are a great way for children to learn and stay engaged in the story.
8. Focus on the illustrations. Comment and talk about how they correlate to the story.
Copyright © 2023 North Shore Hebrew Academy. All rights reserved. Website designed by Addicott Web.
NSHA NON-DISCRIMINATORY ADMISSION POLICY
NSHA will admist students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. NSHA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, scholarship and loan programs or any other school-administrered programs.