by Early Childhood Director, Elana Helfgott
Below are some tips to promote early literacy:
1. Make “talk” part of your everyday life. Young children should hear 30,000 words per day. While this may sound like a lot of words, this correlates into a parent speaking to a child in full and descriptive sentences daily.
2. Read signs, labels and road maps out loud.
3. Share a lot of books, stories and finger play.
4. Allow children to choose books they are interested in. A weekly library trip is a great way to promote this.
5. Reading a favorite book over and over again is a wonderful idea. Children learn from repetition.
6. Use different voices and sound effects to keep the stories exciting.
7. Stop in the middle of a story to ask key questions. “What” and “why” prediction questions are a great way for children to learn and stay engaged in the story.
8. Focus on the illustrations. Comment and talk about how they correlate to the story.
Copyright © 2021 North Shore Hebrew Academy. All rights reserved. Website designed by Addicott Web.